When you apply for a job you will be asked to either submit a resume or fill out an application form. When you are given an application form, you may also want to attach a covering letter and your resume when you submit it to your prospective employer.
Tips for Resume Writing:
- A cover letter is a way to introduce yourself and to tell the prospective employer why you want the job and how your work experience is relevant to the job you are applying for.
- Keep your resume short - no longer than 2 pages.
- Include any volunteer work you may have done.
- Use key words to describe your knowledge and qualifications that related to the position you are applying for.
- Change your resume for each job you apply for different types of jobs.
- Check your resume for spelling errors and ensure that you have included the correct company name and job title.
- Use bold print or indents to make important information stand out.
There are 2 common types of resumes:
- Chronological - it is organized by jobs you have held, with the most recent listed first.
- Functional - it is skills based and is organized by the skills that you have gained in previous jobs.
Also, staff at Employment Central (www.employmentyukon.ca) or the Multicultural Centre of the Yukon (MCY) can assist you with your resume and cover letter.